So you fixed your credit score, saved enough for a down payment, and know what you can afford… now you need to starting looking at houses and you’ll need help! This is where a realtor comes in handy and this post will explain why you need one and how to select the one that is right for you. This “Buying a House Series” is made with years of experience on the best way to get your life in order so you can get a loan and find the home you want at the price you want. Use the following the tips below to make the process much smoother on you…
What’s the Difference Between a Real Estate Agent, a Broker, and a Realtor?
- Real Estate Agent – Anyone who has a license to sell property. To get this license they typically had to take 100+ hours of coursework and pass a state exam.
- Broker – Someone who has continued their studies and can hire agents to work for them.
- Realtor – An agent or broker who is a member of the National Association of Realtors. Realtors adhere to a detailed code of ethics to treat their clients honestly and fairly.
First Take a Look Online
Check out realtor.com, trulia.com and others to get some information about your local real estate brokers and agents. Most searches will show their experience, the number of homes they’ve sold, and what price range of homes they have helped sell and buy.
Talk to at Least 2-3 Realtors Before Making a Choice
You’re going to be spending a lot of time working with your realtor to find a home so make sure you see eye to eye. The National Association of Realtors found that 52% of first-time buyers found their Realtor through a friend and 66% of them didn’t look past meeting the first agent. Buying a home is a big deal so make sure you have the right person for you and one that has a track record of success along with experience. Extra time spent selecting the right realtor now will pay off greatly in the long term.
Some Questions to Ask…
- How long have you been in real estate? You want a seasoned agent with at least 2 years of experience in most cases.
- How long have you lived in the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky area? A great realtor from Columbus who doesn’t know the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky area would have a tougher time than some brand new realtors. Knowing the area is as important as how long they’ve been a realtor. Arguably more important!
- Are you a full time agent and when are you available? You need a realtor that is available when you’re available and someone you can get a hold of easily. Timing can sometimes be everything in Real Estate!
- Will you be out of town during our buying cycle? Everyone needs a vacation but you’ll need a backup plan and contact if the perfect home becomes available when your realtor is away.
We suggest you at least speak and have a relationship with a realtor for the first 3 steps of buying a home even though our 4th step is selecting a realtor. Having a great realtor for the entire process will allow you to lean on their experience every step of the way to your new home!
Buying a House Series Posts
- Buying a House Series #5 - Finding the Right Home For Your Family in the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky Area
- Buying a House Series #4 - Tips On Finding the Right Real Estate Agent in the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky Area
- Buying a House Series - #3 Tips on Finding Out How Much You Can Afford to Spend on Your Next Home
- Buying a House Series – #2 Tips on Saving Up for a Down Payment on a Home
- Buying a House Series - #1 How Do I Check My Credit Score? How Do I Clean Up My Credit Score?
- Buying a House Series #11 - Tips for a Successful Final Walkthrough
- Buying a House Series #10 - Knowing Where and How to Negotiate On Your Closing Costs
- Buying a House Series #9 - Tips On Getting The Best Home Loan in the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky Area
- Buying a House Series #8 - A Thorough Home Inspection is a Crucial Step To Buying a Home!
- Buying a House Series #7 - The Bank Will Need to Appraise the House You Want to Finance
- Buying a House Series #6 - Making an Offer On the Home You Want
Tom Reese has 20+ years experience in helping his clients sell their homes for a price that sells and makes them a profit. Tom has helped his clients buy and sell property in every neighborhood in Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati.
About Tom Reese
Helping my clients attain their dreams has been the foundation of my success. With my strong attention to customer service, I have earned my clients continued support and referrals. Put my enthusiasm and dedication to work for you!
Call Tom anytime at