So you fixed your credit score, saved enough for a down payment, know what you can afford, selected a real estate agent, and found a home you like, made an offer that the seller accepted, had the house appraised, secured a loan, and negotiated the closing costs. Now it’s time for the final walk through! Many buyers think they are ready for the home of their dreams after the loan is approved and house passes inspection but there is still some work. We are almost there! This “Buying a House Series” is made with years of experience on the best way to get your ducks in a row so you can get a loan and find the home you want at the price you want. Use the following the tips below to make the process much smoother on you…
You’re Going to Need Checklist
To create your checklist, grab your notes and pictures from previous walkthroughs to determine what you should double check. Make sure work what was agreed to was actually done. Don’t be embarrassed to ask for copies of paid invoices for work done if you feel like it hasn’t.
What to Do During The Last and Final Walk Through
- Check that appliances are in working order
- Check the plumbing. Do the toilets flush okay? Does the water go down the drains okay?\
- Check windows, doors, outlets, and lights.
- Be sure that no hardware or fixtures were switched out (unless it is in the contract).
- Anything you requested to be fixed or replaced should have been done by this point. If not, it IS worth the awkward conversation of bringing it up.
Don’t Sweat The Little Stuff
If you’re (almost) home has few scratches on the walls or a little dirt on the floor and counters, don’t let that get you upset. Focus and worry about the big stuff. Once you have completed a successful final walkthrough you are ready to move in!
Once you’re through getting a loan, you’ll be on your way to negotiating closing costs…
Buying a House Series Posts
- Buying a House Series – #2 Tips on Saving Up for a Down Payment on a Home
- Buying a House Series - #1 How Do I Check My Credit Score? How Do I Clean Up My Credit Score?
- Buying a House Series #11 - Tips for a Successful Final Walkthrough
- Buying a House Series #10 - Knowing Where and How to Negotiate On Your Closing Costs
- Buying a House Series #9 - Tips On Getting The Best Home Loan in the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky Area
- Buying a House Series #8 - A Thorough Home Inspection is a Crucial Step To Buying a Home!
- Buying a House Series #7 - The Bank Will Need to Appraise the House You Want to Finance
- Buying a House Series #6 - Making an Offer On the Home You Want
- Buying a House Series #5 - Finding the Right Home For Your Family in the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky Area
- Buying a House Series #4 - Tips On Finding the Right Real Estate Agent in the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky Area
- Buying a House Series - #3 Tips on Finding Out How Much You Can Afford to Spend on Your Next Home
Tom Reese has 20+ years experience in helping his clients buy the homes they want at a price they can afford. Tom has helped his clients buy and sell property in every neighborhood in Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati.
About Tom Reese
Helping my clients attain their dreams has been the foundation of my success. With my strong attention to customer service, I have earned my clients continued support and referrals. Put my enthusiasm and dedication to work for you!
Call Tom anytime at